INGREDIENTS – TOPPING:
- 1/2 cup (70 grams) all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated white sugar
- 1/4 cup (55 grams) light brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp fresh or ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp(84 grams) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/3 cup (30 grams) old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup (30 grams) chopped walnuts or pecans
INGREDIENTS – FILLING:
- 2 1/2 pounds (1.2 kg) or 6 cups peeled and sliced Granny Smith Apples or other firm, tart-tasting apple
- 1 cup fresh blackberries or raspberries (optional)
- Zest of 1 lemon (optional)
- 1 – 2 tbsp (12 – 25 grams) light brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and place rack in the center of the oven.
- Butter or spray with a cooking spray a 9 inch (23 cm) deep dish pie plate or an 8 x 8 x 2 inch (20 x 20 x 5 cm) baking dish. (Can also make 8 individual ramekins.) Set aside.
- For Topping, place all the topping ingredients (flour, sugars, spices, butter, oats and nuts) in a food processor and process until the mixture is crumbly (looks like coarse meal) and there are no large pieces of butter visible. (This can also be done with two knives or your fingertips) Set aside while you prepare the filling.
- For Filling: Peel, core, and slice the apples into 1/4 inch (.7 cm) thick pieces. Place in a large bowl, along with the berries and lemon zest (if using), and add the brown sugar. Gently combine and then transfer to your prepared baking dish¬† Spread the topping evenly over the apples.
- Bake for approximately 30-40 minutes (20 – 25 minutes for individual ramekins) or until the topping is golden brown. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool for about 30 minutes before serving.
Hope you enjoyed this recipe, leave a comment if you liked this recipe or have anything to add to it!